Martin Chaix was born in 1980 in Albi (France), where he began his classical ballet training in 1986.
In 1993 he was accepted at the École de Danse de l'Opéra National de Paris where he studied until 1999 and directly joined the Paris Opera Ballet (dir. Brigitte Lefèvre). In 2006 he was offered a soloist position at the Leipziger Ballett (dir. Paul Chalmer) experiencing a whole new repertoire and taking part in new creations.
In 2009 he became a member of the Ballett am Rhein Düsseldorf Duisburg (dir. Martin Schläpfer) where he danced as a soloist until 2015.
During these years he worked in many ballets from different styles and techniques, from classical to modern, in reprises from Roland Petit, Angelin Preljocaj, Carolyn Carlson, Rudolf Nureyev, John Neumeier, George Balanchine, Pina Bausch, Uwe Scholz, John Cranko, Jiri Kylián, Hans van Manen and Mats Ek, among others and took part in creations from Michel Kelemenis, Jean-Claude Galotta, Johan Greben and Uri Ivgi, Amanda Miller, Edouard Lock, Kader Belarbi, Marco Goecke and Martin Schläpfer, among others.
Since 2015 he is working as a freelance choreographer.
Making his choreographic debut in 2006 at the Paris Opera Ballet he created since then a few works in different Young Choreographer evenings, specially for the renowned Noverre Society Young Choreographer evening in 2010, and engaged in different projects aside such as the Moritzbastei’s Summer Festival 2008, the opening gala of the ICZ Leipzig (Internationales Choreographisches Zentrum) and, on the invitation of the Brotfabrik Bühne Bonn, created a full-length ballet, Eine Winterreise, in 2014or more recently with the KK Youth Project in Tokyo (2018).
Very soon after the beginning of his career he received official commissions and collaborated with companies such as the Leipzig Ballet (2007 and 2015), the Ballett am Rhein (2013), the Theatre Nordhausen Ballet (2014), the Saarland National Theater Ballet in Saarbrücken (2016), the Musiktheater im Revier (2016), the Mecklenburg State Theater Ballet (2016) and the Croatian National Ballet in Split (2017).
Along with his different choreographic projects Martin Chaix is also doing some short films and photographies. One of his work has been selected for the One Minute Film Festival in Amsterdam in 2013.
| list of works
- (coming soon) Parlez-moi d''amour | Sibiu Theater Ballet | Romania
- Tribulations | Danser Bach au XXIe siècle | Ballet du Rhin
- Sarabande | KK Youth Project | Tokyo
- In a landscape | in collaboration with Limbic Shift | Busan International Dance Festival | Korea
- Sinfonietta | East/West ballet evening | Croatian National Ballet in Split
- Apropos Liebe | Mecklenburg State Theater Ballet
- La Gioconda (Opera) | Staging from M. Parditka und A. Szemerédy | Musiktheater im Revier
- Firebird | Kylián_Celis_Chaix ballet evening | Saarland State Theater Ballet
- Parlez-moi d’amour | Französisches Chansons ballet evening | Leipzig Ballet
- Transkriptionen | Vier Jahreszeiten ballet evening | Theater Nordhausen Ballet
- Eine Winterreise | Brotfabrik Bühne Bonn
- "We were right here !!” | b.15 ballet evening | Ballett am Rhein Düsseldorf Duisburg
- Promenade (short film) | nominated by the One Minute Dance Film Festival in Amsterdam
- Voices | Noverre Gesellschaft | Stuttgart Ballet
- Kaiser Waltzer (Opera Bal) | Leipzig Opera
- Tango Concerto | Gala | Tokyo
- Und so weiter... | Open Air Festival Moritzbastei | Leipzig
- Lob der Tränen | Young Choreographers | Leipzig Ballet
- Lady | Shakespeare Made in Leipzig ballet evening | Leipzig Ballet
- Funiculi and O sole mio (Opera Bal) | Leipzig Opera
- Des Variations de l’Amour | Gala | Albi
- Apologie du Couple le Matin au Réveil | Soirée Danseurs Chorégraphes | Paris Opera Ballet
- Pars de l’Autre | Soirée RARE | Paris Opera Ballet